Sunday 29 September 2013

Lyndahere And ‘Oh Yeah’...Some thoughts.

@lyndahere or Lynda Elstad wrote the following on her blog post “There are sure to be more acting opportunities - Alan did, after all, write this long-awaited blog from the Republic of Doyle set, where he was reprising his Wolf Redmond role, and his big-screen turn as Villainous Dingy Worthington in the Valentines-Day-2014 release of Winter's Tale is sure to make a lasting impression - and given the quality of his work in the roles he's gotten largely via his friendships with more-established actors, the time is approaching when Alan will be sought out and offered roles based solely on his own accomplishments”. (Between the Rock and a Hard Place 27 September 2013).

I had to respond to this post I found on Twitter and her blog Between the Rock and a Hard Place. I was interested that the annual appearance of Alan Doyle and friends on Republic of Doyle only got twenty or so words and her comments that “he has gotten roles largely via his friendships with more established actors”. I absolutely totally 100 percent DISAGREE with her statement. He got all his acting roles based on his talent and the contribution he could make to the production and not his friendship with others.

Alan Doyle and Great Big Sea have been involved in Republic of Doyle since the beginning through their music. They wrote the theme song to the show ‘Oh Yeah’. Great Big Sea were well known in Canada and the United States and a Great Big Sea catchy song from Newfoundland would help promote the show and Newfoundland throughout the rest of Canada and the United States. So from the original episode they have had played an intricate part of the program’s success. Four seasons on the show is still popular and being produced by CBC. The fifth season is about to air in October.

Alan Doyle has always been an actor of sorts whether it is on the stage performing music or making music videos. Moving from a musician to actor and musician to actor is a kind of a natural evolution. Alan Doyle is not the first to do it (Elvis Presley, Justin Timberlake, Russell Crowe and Keanu Reeves come to mind and even the great Mick Jagger and the Beatles had a go at acting in movies). Reading past interviews from the movie Robin Hood, Alan Doyle was a natural inclusion because of his musical talent and his ability to play a particular instrument rather than a friendship he had formed with Russell Crowe. He is credited with writing and performing two songs for the Robin Hood movie “Row Me Bully Boys Row” and “Large Woman” and performing a third song “Sadness Sadness”. 

In an interview with Allen W. Wright titled “Interviews in Sherwood. Alan Doyle actor in the 2010 film Robin Hood” Alan Doyle said…

“AWW:    You got involved in the film because you had worked with Russell Crowe musically.

AD:      That's how I knew Russell. And when they were going through the cast of characters they needed for this film, there was one there for a musician - and ideally some guy who could play both lute and Celtic instruments and do a capella songs and stuff. And his name was Allan A'Dayle. So, I guess it's not that much of stretch for Russell to go "Hey, I know a guy who could do this." So, he called me up and asked me to come do a read for it. And off we went.

AWW:    Did you play the lute much in the movie?

AD:      Yes, I do. I don't want to give it away for people who haven't seen it or anything. But yeah, I play the lute live in the movie a few times. I think they wanted part of it to be as real as possible. They wanted to create, really for the first time, one or two plausible explanations for the origins of these characters. Why out of ten thousand soldiers in King Richard's army would four of them be remembered? What brought them together? Why these four? One of the things we try to establish in this picture is that they got together because they like to sing. Allan A'Dayle, you know, he's the magnet for it all late at night, because he's got the lute, man”.

Because one is friends with and works with a famous actor there is no guarantee of anything. A movie studio isn’t going to make movies for friends to have fun. It is a business deal and they want their movie to be a success. In an interview for the same writer Allen W. Wright interviewed Kevin Durand who has also appeared on Robin Hood and Republic of Doyle said

“AWW:    So, did you sing much in the film? I know Russell Crowe and especially Alan Doyle have done some.

KD:      I think that was a big part of Russell and Ridley's vision in finding the Merry Men. To be able to show people why they were labelled the Merry Men. And to him that has a lot to do with that we love to sing and drink and have a good time as well as the other side where we're great warriors. Singing was a big part of it. I've been singing for my supper way before I was acting for my supper. So, Scotty [Grimes, the film's Will Scarlet], Alan [Doyle, Allan A'Dayle], Russell and I, we all had a ball. We would set up at bars all over London, have a few beers and take up the guitar and start singing. We would have a really good time with the patrons. I don't think we had a bad show to date. We were pretty lucky.

AWW:    I know that you had worked with Russell Crowe and Scott Grimes before.

KD:      Russell, Scotty and I met on a movie called Mystery, Alaska which started back in 1998. That was my first movie. It was my first audition for a movie actually. I was a theatre grad up to that point. Then Russell and I also did 3:10 to Yuma together. Scotty and I did a movie together. It was called Throwing Stars at the time and then they changed the title to Who's Your Monkey?, a small independent. So, we were all very familiar with each other. And the connection with Alan was that I had been a huge, huge Great Big Sea [Alan Doyle's folk band] fan way back before Mystery, Alaska happened and I gave Russell and Scotty copies of his CD. And they all became big fans. Through the course of a decade of different things happening, we all ended up becoming good friends and becoming the Merry Men, so to speak. I'm grateful for the journey”.

I remember it was Alan Doyle who helped Russell Crowe get back into acting by introducing him to Allan Hawco on Republic of Doyle via Twitter and was instrumental in helping Russell Crowe do something I believe he loves more than acting music. Russell Crowe had a long lay off from making movies spending most of his time at the farm he owns in Australia. He was really overweight and had just begun his fitness regime. From then on Russell Crowe and Allan Hawco emailed each other, a role on Republic of Doyle evolved, a reunion with the cast of Robin Hood including Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand and the Indoor Garden Party in St John’s was born. The Indoor Garden Party helped get Russell Crowe the role for Les Miserables approximately 6 months later. Since then he has made several films and is currently directing a movie in Australia.

Lyndahere has always been dismissive of anything Alan Doyle does without her and here is another example. I find this interesting considering how much space the subject of Alan Doyle, his beard and this role on Republic of Doyle has occupied on her Twitter and social media pages and yet she is now not allocating any space or time to discussing it. 

I have been thinking about the present and in particular this week the episodes of Republic of Doyle that have been filming in St Johns. A lot of work goes into making every episode and a series before it gets to our television screens. I love following the filming of the show on social media from those involved and watching episodes mostly on DVD as I don’t live in a country where it is shown unfortunately. It has a wonderful talented cast and is great drama. I love Republic of Doyle and it is one of my favourite television shows.

I have walked on many of the streets, been to many of the places shown and talked about on the show. So every time I watch an episode it is a bit like walking down memory lane for me. Republic of Doyle is distinctly Newfoundland and St John’s and Alan Doyle and Great Big Sea are distinctly Newfoundland and St John’s. It is only natural there would be a connection built on promoting Newfoundland and creating employment for their actors and artists in their home island rather than anything to do with friendship. Doyle and Allan Hawco on the set of Republic of Doyle in St John's Newfoundland.


Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...