Friday 3 April 2015

Murray Foster and streaming...a response.

This week Great Big Sea’s Murray Foster wrote a post on Facebook about a streaming service. As I don’t use Facebook I will write a response here.  I admire Murray for speaking out as he often does on social media for a range of causes for example piracy, violence against women, Toronto politics and now the impact of streaming services on musicians to make a living.

I don’t know anything about the streaming service or the history of the blog Murray is referring too. I do agree with Murray in that the writer has not done enough research on the actual reality of the average income of a musician or artist. Fans definitely have to think about how their viewing and purchasing actions affect creators and their future creations because not all creators are multi-millionaires.

I do think though it is extremely naïve to trust a streaming service or any kind of business run by musicians and artists and believe they will do the right thing by others in their same profession and the customers who support them.  Music is big business and musicians, artists and their business managers and agents won’t let them put their money into any business where they don’t make a profit.

So okay musicians and artists may provide a service for a while until people get hooked like all the other services before them (Facebook, Youtube and Twitter ect) then they will have to eventually pay their own way.  And it won’t be the musicians and artists who own the service who will be losing money. Then there are other issues such as will all musicians and artists get a fair go on their streaming services.  Or will they just be supporting their friends and those who can pay. Like I said I don’t know anything about streaming services.

All I know is I like to buy the products I want individually, whether they are hardcopies and/or digital without advertising. I am not interested in listening to or viewing a whole bunch of stuff I am not interested in. If I read about music I may be interested in I visit official sites on YouTube and purchase albums or a couple of songs digitally. If there is a television show I may be interested in, I will buy one or two episodes digitally and then perhaps a DVD. I am not interested in any model of service that involves ‘free with advertising’. YouTube is an example of a free service that got it’s customers hooked and then loaded up on massive amounts of advertising. YouTube frustrates the hell out of me as a consumer.

I didn’t see any facilities for sharing the article in Gawker other than on Facebook so I copied it out below.

From Murray Foster’s Facebook page… there is a fabulous discussion attached for those interested.

“Lots of backlash to the new Tidal streaming service, such as the Gawker article below. I think this is a terrible article. Yes, there are rich musicians in the world, but that doesn't mean that they and EVERY OTHER MUSICIAN aren't being ripped off by current streaming rates. The survival of the profession of 'musician' depends upon people paying for streamed music (as opposed to the current 'free with ads' model) and for the negotiation of different royalty rates than currently exist. I trust Tidal more than the other streaming sites because it's owned by musicians. This article focuses (very immaturely I think) on the "oh look at these poor little rich musicians" angle. Gawker should be smarter than this. On a related note, Tidal needs to work on their messaging.

The World's Most Famous Musicians Just Hosted a Bonkers Press Conference (no copyright infringement intended)

Only a few minutes ago, the entire music industry stood on a stage in a collective display of how rich and out of touch they are. They think you are willing to pay up to double the price of other streaming music services to pay for their streaming music service, because they are crazy.

Imagine this: cancelling your Spotify subscription, and paying $20 for a Tidal subscription instead. It's more expensive because it's "higher quality" and "artist-owned," which is important because Usher, Daft Punk, and Madonna have been living in wretched penury for far too long, and it's time for people to give back. The modern-day Our Gang (which counted among its members not only the aforementioned supernovas, but also Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, Chris Martin, and Jack White) held a "keynote" to promote Tidal, the already extant European streaming company Jay Z recently purchased for $56 million because he's bored.

Jay Z and Beyonce (also present, beaming) dug up an old email thread (SUBJ: SURPRISE BRUNCH PARTY SATURDAY!), hit reply-all, and look at how many of their family friends turned out to stand on stage, visibly uncomfortable, and listen to Alicia Keys give an incoherent speech. At the conclusion of Keys' statement, which merged the rarely combined traits of being about an app and quoting Nietzsche, the artists all signed some sort of "declaration" one by one. I don't know what the document said—it was probably just a blank piece of paper, or perhaps an original copy of the Declaration of Independence that Deadmau5 received as a White Elephant gift.

When it came time for Madonna to sign, she put her whole leg up on the table, as if to say to the world World, I'm MADONNA and yes I am not too old to move my leg this way. No one is going to use Tidal. These dummies!


In case you had any lingering sympathy for the struggling mega-famous recording artist, here's a video they made to make you hate them:

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...