Friday 19 June 2015

“Sean McCann can’t talk right now…” An interview and a fan's response.

I would like to wish Sean McCann all the best following the surgery he had on Wednesday on his vocal cords. Recently Sean did an interview with The Telegraph in St. John’s, Newfoundland about the surgery, the release of his new album “You Know I Love You”, his tour in the Canadian Fall, some interesting comments about his observations on social interactions and smartphones, the listening music habits of people, the quality of music we are hearing on smartphones and being a do it yourself musician. I have written a response here.

I have  shared the article on Google + “Sean McCann can’t talk to you right now, but when he gets his voice back watch out” by Tara Bradbury published on 16 June 2016 in The Telegram in St. John’s, Newfoundland.

Sean discussed the music listening habits of the public and that influenced him in the way he released the album. I must say I am really intrigued and excited by the format he has chosen to release his new album. Like a lot of fans I will be looking forward to Saturdays over the northern summer and listening to and seeing a video of one song a week. “The idea of putting out one song at a time, I’m having a hard time with that because that’s not how I listen to music…I am going to try the single thing, do one a week and not tax people’s attention spans, because they are busy. I’d rather take little steps and go further….”  

Sean said “But that’s the way the world is. The world lives on the phone, I really think these phones fracture our attention spans. I was walking around Pearson airport one day and there were about 5,000 people in the terminal, and no one was talking. Everyone’s eyes were down. I found it very metaphorical and it shocked me a little bit, but I don’t want to be in denial. The convenience they bring to the table is amazing. I think there is a kind of sacrifice that I hear in the quality of the music collections are (on people’s phones) but the convenience factor is more important on a society level. Convenience will trump quality…”

While the way people socially interact with each other has changed due to phones in Canada’s biggest city Toronto, it certainly looks like it is becoming that way in Australia. Phones are certainly distracting us from being in a space with the people we are with, in the here and now. I too have noticed the ever present phone coming between people, especially when they go out for meals and other social events. It just seems acceptable these days to spend time on the phone texting and using social media  while out with others.

Yes, I agree with Sean that phones are amazingly convenient in particular, for those of us without tablets or ipads. One of the major factors about using a phone for music for me is I can buy digital music/content from overseas and in particular Canada and Newfoundland that normally wouldn’t be available in other preferred formats like CDs  and where the postage is usually the cost of another album. So while the delivery method is not ideal and quality is poor, digital music is better than not having the music I want at all.

I certainly agree with Sean phones are convenient and yes I am like other people who want their information here and now. I use my phone for listening to music, reading digital books and researching. But I don’t spend as much time as I use to on my phone since I closed all of my social media accounts. I don’t take my phone out with me and certainly not to social occasions with friends and family. It is an odd feeling being the only person not checking out  what the rest of their friends and family are doing somewhere else rather than being with the people they are. But that just seems acceptable conduct for people these days and in particular for younger people.  

When I was recently in Canada and St. John’s, Newfoundland there is so much free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is everywhere including hotels, public transport, restaurants, shopping centres and food chains. As a consequence I spent a lot of time on my phone taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi. Compared to where I live in Australia, there is virtual none and if there is the usage is capped.  

Sean makes some interesting comments about the challenges of being a do it yourself musician. I love the way he is releasing his new music week by week and with a short video clip to accompany it. I certainly love the first song of the album “You Know I Love You” and the fantastic black and white video. As a technological illiterate person I am having a bit of trouble locating where to buy the song and get it from the webpage onto my phone. But like Sean I will rise to the challenge. 

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...