Thursday 15 September 2016

Alan Doyle And One Day In September…Throwback Thursday.

One of the things I love about researching and writing my blog is when I find something really creative and interesting. This time my research took me to a webpage called myheartmyhand.com and is about Russell Crowe, Alan Doyle, The Ordinary Fear of God and the making of the album ‘My Heart, My Hand’. While this webpage is probably well known to Russell Crowe fans, it was new to me.

The ‘My heart, my hand’ webpage contains some wonderful material including song lyrics, videos, downloads and links to other sites and a great collection of photographs of a much younger Russell Crowe, TOFG and Alan Doyle taken during the recording of the album in Australia. The story section contains some of Russell Crowe’s thoughts on Alan Doyle, their creative partnership and how they met in Canada and Alan Doyle’s thoughts about working with Russell Crowe, the song lyrist and recording the album during the Australian summer. Russell and Alan have written a lot of thoughtful and reflective words about each of the songs they wrote as individuals and together.

My favourite was this explanation for the Alan Doyle song “How Did We Get From Saying I Love You ?” which he still sings today at concerts.

“How Did We Get From Saying I Love You? (Doyle)

Alan writes:

The genesis of this tune was an awkward conversation, a coming of age epiphany.

I started the tune in 1995, but the incident occurred a few years previous when, just in my 20s, l experienced my first ‘adult break-up’. Throughout my teenage years, guys and gals got together and split up regularly, with no apparent long-lasting effects. The recovery time for a teenage break-up was about an hour-and-a-half, after which time the two ex-lovers were back as friends and moved on to the next opportunity, No – or little – harm done.

But on this day in the early 90’s I happened upon my recently ex-girlfriend on the road and things were so very different between us. A short time before this we’d been saying ”I love you” and whispering plans, promises, dreams and secrets. On this day, however, we could barley utter a passing comment on the weather. Our awkward conversation is remarkable for only two memorable truths: It was a cold day for September and there was rain expected in the afternoon. That’s it. I was struck for the first time by the fact that adult relationships carry with them weight and power that teenage ones do not.

It is a fact that once you share an intimate personal relationship with another adult, and that relationship sours, your previous friendship may never be attained again. Most reasonable adults are aware of this, but on that cold day in September, I learned that lesson for the first time.”


The webpage is well worth a visit if you are a Russell Crowe and Alan Doyle fan. As the webpage is powered by TOFG I am imagine the words and reflections are authentic. I have included a screen shot of one of the photographs of Alan taken during the making of the album and as part of The Ordinary Fear of God. The photographs are from the myhandmyheart.com webpage and no copyright infringement intended.

I have circulated some videos from this album including One Good Year, Raewyn (from the Indoor Garden Party in Newfoundland and South Sydney YouTube site) and Mickey (from the South Sydney YouTube site).



Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...