Monday 26 June 2017

Alan Doyle Reflects On Growing Up In Newfoundland…An article in the Canadian press.

Alan Doyle responded to a fan who shared the article ‘Canadian Musician Alan Doyle Illuminates the Beauty of Growing up in Newfoundland’ that was published in the Canadian newspaper, the Toronto Sun on the 22 June, 2017. The article only seems to be available online through the Toronto Sun’s pressreader.com version of it’s newspaper. The article has been edited for copyright reasons. 

I personally love Newfoundland and so I found Alan’s reflection and comments interesting. 

"...What was it like growing up in Petty Harbour, Newfoundland?

Petty Harbour was, and remains, a postcard-perfect Newfoundland fishing village with a wharf up and down each side, lined with fishing boats of various shapes, sizes and colours, My childhood there was pretty magical since there was always something fun and active to do and with a gang of kids my age to do it with. I was born into the Doyle family who were the go-to musical family for everything from a concert to a dance to a wedding to a funeral. I learned most of my music lessons through osmosis.

How has the culture of Newfoundland shaped your creative drive in music, film, and writing?

I think most rural towns have musical family that often play and sing for most of the functions. I was lucky enough to be born into one of them. We had a guitar, piano and accordion before we had a car. I’m serious. So, music for me came early and easy. Music and songs in particular are important in Newfoundland. We love to record our history, not just in libraries or history books, but in songs. So there are lots of them around, and they are most often about stuff in your own backyard. When I started writing my own songs, I just instinctually wrote about my own experiences in my own town. I was not tempted, as many are, to write about cars and girls in California. When I moved to St. John’s to go to university, I met so many people from the tight-knit arts scene of folks who worked in theatre, film and literary arts, all of who were early to have me help on a project here and there.

How would you describe Atlantic Canada?

The provinces that make up Atlantic Canada are way more varied that people might think. For example, the landscape of PEI and Petty Harbour could be from different planets. The music from Cape Brenton and Newfoundland could not be more different in the folk world. That said, the people Atlantic Canada share a community-mindedness and place tremendous value on songs, instrumental music and stories. They love to see visitors coming and they a survivalist mentality that often makes them shine the brightest at the darkest times.

Native Newfoundlanders refer those not born on the island as “come from aways.” What message do you want to send to those across Canada about Newfoundland and why they should visit?

A big reason to come to Newfoundland and Labrador is that it is a different place than anywhere else. It is not like anywhere else in Canada or the world for that matter. It has its own language, food, music, landscape and architecture. And the biggest reason to come to Newfoundland is to have a time with its most amazing resource Newfoundlanders..."


Alan Doyle in Petty Harbour, Newfoundland. The image is from cbc.ca (no copyright infringement intended).




Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...