Sunday 5 November 2017

Alan Doyle And 'A Newfoundlander In Canada'...The book and album tour at home.

The first leg of Alan Doyle's new book tour through the east coast of Canada has finished at a packed house at The Rooms in St. John's. Since Alan has been home in St. John's there have been a range of interviews and performances on local television, radio and in newspapers and a book signing.

The book and album promotion as always has been supported with some awesome social media posts from Alan himself, the organisations doing the promotion and of course the fans. So I thought the St. John's gigs deserve a post of their own.



The CBC Crosstalk live interview and performance...

The highlight of the book and album tour at home in St. John's for me was the CBC Crosstalk interview and mini performance on the local radio CBC Newfoundland and Labrador. Alan talked about the new book and album and Alan, Cory and Kendel performed some songs in the studio that included 'Come Out With Me', 'Row Me Bully Boys', and a nice interpretation of an old favourite 'I've Seen A Little'.

The official CBC Newfoundland and Labrador news feed wrote an article title 'First Listen 'I'm super-grateful': Alan Doyle releases new book and solo album' that was distributed via social media. The lucky fans who won the contest shared some nice words about being fans of Alan Doyle. I have circulated a copy of the article on my Google + page. 


The interview and performance was recorded and loaded up onto the official CBC Newfoundland and Labrador Facebook page for local and international fans who could ring up and comment on. At the time of the writing of this post the interview and performance was still available.







The Newspaper Article...

'The Artist Spotlight' by Dillon Collins published in The Newfoundland Herald on the 1 November, 2017. This is another really interesting article with some interesting comments so I decided to keep a copy of a couple of paragraphs. I was unable to share the article via my Google + page. The article has been edited for copyright reasons and can be found at the official webpage of the Newfoundland Herald.

"...From the boy on the bridge to the travelling troubadour, the life and career of Alan Doyle has been one filled with choice. The idea of choice, the necessity and the ability to control it have dictated the latter part of the career of the fabled Great Big Sea frontman turned solo success story. There’s choice in which career path to take on – frontman, actor, author, philanthropist and business owner. All of these things require a keen hand and the patience to balance dozens of spinning plates...

I would love for the next year and a half for there to be visible momentum and for it to keep growing. It’s amazing that it’s still growing. 2018 will be my 25th year as an exclusively professional musician. As my buddy Hawksley Workmen says ‘you still have heat around you.’ I was never sure what that meant, but that’s what he said. To still be in the game at all is a blessing. I’d just love for it to constantly grow a little bit so there is somewhere else that will have us the next week that didn’t have us the week before. Hopefully whoever had us last week when we show up there in a couple of years they’ll have us back with just as many or maybe a few more. Momentum is the most intoxicating thing in the entertainment business. To feel like whatever you’re doing is growing or moving a tiny bit quicker than it used to. That’s pretty awesome.”


The Rooms 'A Newfoundlander in Canada' book talk and Costco book signing...

Alan chose the magnificent St. John's museum The Rooms as the venue to do his talk about his new book to a packed house. The fans who attended shared some kind words and awesome photographs on social media. The following day Alan signed copies of his book at Costco.

I have included some screen shots of some awesome photographs from The Rooms and Costco book signing circulated on Alan Doyle's official Twitter accounts. No copyright infringement intended.








The Interview...

Although not officially an at home interview this article titled 'Alan Doyle: 'If I don't say it, I don't sing it' was published in The Canadian Globe and Mail newspaper on the 3 November, 2017.

The article has been edited for copyright reasons and I have copied two questions I found really interesting about what scared Alan as a writer and the best advice he received here. 

I have not been able to circulated this article on my Google + page for those fans interested in reading it.

"...What scares you as a writer?

Nothing scares me as much as confessing secrets in writing. There’s something about a permanent record of deeply personal thoughts or fears. It is like something you can never go back from. In my new book, I confess to feeling ashamed of my first reactions to a tense situation at a gig in Ottawa, and how my first instinct was to make the gig go smoothly rather than stick up for Newfoundland. I admit to feeling so guilty that I even considered anything but outright objection to the whole scene. For whatever reason, I find it much more emotional to write these feelings than to say them out loud.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

When I got my first big acting gig, a seasoned actor pal advised me: “They’ve hired you because they want you. So just be you and you’ll be fine.” So in everything I do – acting, writing, songs, whatever – I try to always remember that the more I can be myself, the better it should be received. I don’t write lyrics in my songs for me to sing if they are not words and phrases I would not normally use. If I don’t say it, I don’t sing it...."



Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...