Sunday 23 September 2018

Alan Doyle Plays Newfoundland 2018...Some highlights.

During the Canadian Summer of 2018 Alan Doyle and The Beautiful, Beautiful Band played some concerts that included the Lewisporte Mussel Bed Soiree Festival and the Iceberg Alley Performance Tent Festival in St. John's.

Alan also did solo events that included attending the Writer's At Woody Point Festival and a local charity concert at Garden Cove. I have included some highlights here for future visitors to my blog.

The Writer's At Woody Point Festival...

Alan attended the Writer's At Woody Point Festival on 16 August, 2018 to talk about his book 'A Newfoundlander in Canada' with CBC presenter Tom Power. I have included a photograph from the interview from the official Writer's At Woody Point Festival Facebook page. I was unable to find an official copy of the interview.






Garden Cove Charity Event...

For the past several years Alan has done a solo performance at Garden Cover to raise money for a playground in memory of a local boy who had died tragically.

There was not a lot shared on social media. As much as I love an Alan Doyle solo performance and this certainly would have been a ripper with family members included, I was not prepared to watch the usual collection of bootlegged videos from the usual fan sources who travelled from St. John's and other parts of Newfoundland for it.




Lewisporte...

This year Alan and The Beautiful Beautiful Band played the Lewisporte Mussel Bed Soiree in Newfoundland. Again not a lot was shared on social media outside the usual sources.

Iceberg Alley Performance Tent...

Alan Doyle and The Beautiful, Beautiful Band performed at the Iceberg Alley Performance Tent on 15 September, 2018 with other Newfoundland music acts Shanneyganock and Celtic Connection. 

Local Newfoundland photographer Alick Tsui took some fabulous photographs of all the acts who performed over the event including Alan Doyle and The Beautiful, Beautiful Band and the amazing crowd and shared them via his official social media site on Twitter. I have included three here. No copyright infringement intended. 











Prior to the performance Alan did an interview with the Newfoundland Herald. He talked about the Iceberg Alley Tent Performance event, breaking into the US and Great Big Sea. The article called  "Alan Doyle talks Iceberg Alley, Breaking into the U.S. and Great Big Sea" was published in the Newfoundland Herald and can be found at the online Newfoundland Herald site.

Earlier this summer Alan, Bob and Sean sent the Great Big Sea fan into a frenzy on social media when they met at a local park. Alan explained what happened there and the future of Great Big Sea. I have copied some what was said from the interview here. No copyright infringement intended. 

"...Never failing to raise fan expectations, and pulses, Doyle and Great Big Sea members Bob Hallett and Sean McCann sent folks into a fine frenzy in recent months by posting photos together, leading to rumour and innuendo of reunions and the like. We’d be negligent not to at least ask the status of the iconic trad trio.

“Nothing new, really, other than we had a couple of gatherings in the last few months,” Doyle admits. We’re musing about what we’ll be able to get up to in the coming years. Nothing more than that. We’ve talked about under what scenarios we’d be able to mount a reunion or anniversary gig or short run or something that fits in everybody’s lives. Luckily, everyone is quite happy doing what they’re doing.

“My notion, since Sean left the band, is I don’t want to fight about it,” he adds. “When everybody wants to do it again, lets do it. I didn’t want the last thing that me and Sean and Bob did together be fight over the spoils of it. I got so much respect for those two guys. I literally owe my career to those two guys and Daryl Power. In truth it was mostly their idea. They were doing it before I joined. My notion is that if we can find a happy way that we can do it and happily great, but if not that’s fine.

“I’m not one bit surprised about Sean and Bob,” he says of the continued individual success of the trio. “They’re two of the smartest, most hard working people I’ve ever met in my life. Not to mention, incredibly talented. They both have skillsets that were so enormous outside the band that we benefited from. It’s good times, is the short answer, and I’m grateful for it....”

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...