Tuesday 18 October 2016

Alan Doyle And The Way Forward…

Although I am huge fan of Newfoundland, I am the first to admit I don’t know anything about Newfoundland politics. I was really interested to read about the recent Newfoundland Government’s project ‘The Way Forward’.

Recently the Government decided they needed the assistance of a group of diverse hand-picked residents to brain storm ideas that could be implemented to make a difference to the lives of the people in communities throughout Newfoundland.

Alan Doyle was one of the participants selected to attend. He shared his response to the discussions of the day on his official Twitter account. A copy of the tweets are below.

‘The Way Forward’ webpage provides a number of documents for the public to view that include an overview of the Government’s agenda, a list of the attendees, responses from the groups of attendees and the Government’s final report.

I was interested in two things about the participant’s feedback. I was interest in what the issues were that are important to Newfoundland who shares a similar geographical isolation to my own community from the rest of the mainland and other capital cities and the role of the arts, music and tourism in the future development of Newfoundland.

There were only three points made about the arts and music that I could see and these were…

· Invest more in the art/tv/film industry.

· Support for the Status of the Artist Legislation and the creation of a minimum wage for artists.

· Need artists and musicians to revitalise NL.

Although it is not my place as a person not from Newfoundland to say what should and shouldn’t be important for their community, I did find it interesting as someone who has been to Newfoundland more than a couple of times for the arts, music, culture and tourism they were not considered an important part for the future development of the Newfoundland for some groups.

I have copied Alan’s Doyle’s posts from his official Twitter account below. No copyright infringement intended.





Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...