Friday 3 March 2017

Murray Foster & Alan Doyle & TBG Tour 2017…Some thoughts.




The fans are certainly excited that former Great Big Sea member Murray Foster will be touring with Alan Doyle and The Beautiful Gypsies this Spring while their regular base player Shehab Illyas attended to family business.

Recently Murray wrote a post for his Toronto Songwriting School webpage on his thoughts about the up and coming tour and shared it via his official social media accounts including Twitter. I thought what Murray said was really interesting and I decided to post a copy of a couple of paragraphs here. The full post is available from the webpage and I have provided a link to it at the bottom of this post.

I also found some wonderful photographs of Murray Foster and Alan Doyle taken by fan during a Great Big Sea XX concert in Red Deer in October, 2013. I have posted a couple of photographs here and have provided a link to those below.

I hope you enjoy this post and photographs as much as I did. No copyright infringement intended.

17 Again by Murray Foster… “…I haven’t been on the road since the final (forever final?) Great Big Sea show on New Year’s Eve, 2013, just over three years ago. Have I missed it? Well, there are elements of it that I’ve certainly missed, primarily the camaraderie, the sense of tribe you have when you’re in a band. Plus, Great Big Sea kicked ass – it was amazing to be a part of a musical juggernaut, a band with an incredible repertoire that could shift effortlessly between the frenzy of Mari Mac and a cappella version of Old Brown’s Daughter off-mic at the front of the stage.

I’ve missed that.

What I haven’t missed – and it took me several months off the road to realize this – was the mental/spiritual/psychic toll that being on the road exacted. It wasn’t until I’d been off the road for several months three years ago, after I’d reinstated my regular Friday night soccer game and Sunday morning brunch, that I realized the greatest thing you sacrifice when you go on the road is continuity. And continuity is healthy. The continuity you have in your life is how you triangulate who you are – you’re the guy who gives away the goal every Friday night during the soccer game and then makes the stupid joke about it over beers at the bar afterward (not me – I’m speaking hypothetically)...”


From Murray Foster’s official webpage Toronto Songwriting School…

http://www.torontosongwritingschool.com/17-again/

The photographs of Murray Foster and Alan Doyle are from a fabulous collection of Great Big Sea XX photographs in Red Deer on October 28, 2013, by Trevor Bollinger ©PlayaPhoto

http://www.turbo.ca/thumbskey.php?keyword=Murray__Foster





Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...