Thursday 8 January 2015

Alan Doyle and some thoughts on the 'So Let's Go' album...

I am so looking forward to Alan Doyle's So Let's Go tour and making my annual fan pilgrimage to the glorious city of St. John's, Newfoundland. I am also looking forward to hearing what the fans have to say and share their experiences on social media.

The fans recently circulated an exclusive interview with Alan Doyle by Centre in the Square. I really enjoyed all the questions and answers about how the new album came about and in particular about working on an episode on the television series with Allan Hawco and Republic of Doyle.

From the Centre in the Square webpage at www.centreinthesquare.com (no copyright infringement intended)

"Q: What has been your inspiration behind So Let’s Go?
A: My inspiration was to marry the music I grew up with in Petty Harbour like the piano, accordion and mandolin, with the most contemporary song writers and producers making Canadian music right now. I really wanted to push the boundaries between my traditional influences and wrap it in contemporary sounding music.

Q: How is So Let’s Go different from your first solo album, Boy On Bridge?
A: My first solo album was really a journey outside of my comfort zone. I wanted to concentrate on learning new things. I went to different places and this was as much a physical journey as it was a musical journey. I just wanted to learn to make music the way my friends made music, so I consciously didn’t have a lot of my traditional music influences on that album.

On So Let’s Go, I tried to include my earliest influences with the new stuff I’m learning too – it’s an extension of my first album and it’s more inclusive.

So how has it been touring as a solo artist compared to touring with Great Big Sea?
A: Touring with Great Big Sea is at my comfort level because I have the backing and support of a twenty-year catalog. The exciting thing about touring with a new band is getting to play music that is not all folk based. It’s nice to hear new instruments and new voices and variety is such a great thing. The new band is amazing and they’re some of my old friends: Kendel Carson, Cory Tetford, Kris Macfarlane – just a gang of really awesome musicians that are open to playing any kind of music.

Q: What can we expect at the concert?
A: You can expect a great mix of songs from my two solo records, songs from the Great Big Sea catalog, stuff that I’ve done from movies and TV shows, and music that I’ve done for other people’s records. It’s just a great review of the music of my life. I’m looking forward to coming back – I’ve had lots of great nights in KW".

One of my favourite totally gorgeous Alan Doyle selfies taken this year...







Embedded image permalink

AlanDoyle@alanthomasdoyle Happy New Year. Skating on the Loop in St. John's. Yes B'y January 1 2015

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...