Saturday 31 January 2015

The Alan Doyle 'So Let’s Go' tour. The road so far…

Alan Doyle@alanthomasdoyle “I am so grateful for this day. Thank you all for the love. Tour starts tomorrow. Yeha!” 20 January 2015

Alan Doyle@alanthomasdoyle “Just over 30 minutes to the first downbeat of the SO LET’S GO Tour. Butterflies and jitters, but excited to get’er going”. Thanks all. 22 January 2015

As the readers of my blog know I love reading the social media posts of Alan Doyle and the band and the fans who have attended the concerts throughout Canada and the United States. I love reading the fan stories, their anticipation and thoughts on the new album, those who write a thanks for a great concert, took photographs, made some bootlegged videos of some of their favourite new and old music, got a photo taken with their favourite musician or their merchandise signed.

I guess I am not only interested in the fandom, but I am also a bit of a collector of stories from the traditional media (television, radio and newspapers) from this group of actors and musicians, in particular anything a bit different or unusual. Over the last couple of years I have collected some interesting reviews and interviews about concerts, albums and relationships between them all and put them in a post. These posts are regularly visited by people wanting information about Great Big Sea, Alan Doyle and the band and of course Russell Crowe.

So I would like to put some of the highlights from the past couple of days of the So Let’s Go tour for my own record in a post. Some of the interviews and performances on television and radio have been difficult to load up because of where I live (however, there is never a problem with the commercials attached to these interviews though), the device I use or I have had bad links so I have only included those I have seen.

My favourite stories are always the Alan Doyle selfies and pictures of whatever he finds interesting from the road and those from the band. They are the personal touch and make a fan like me feel included and part of the tour, even when we can’t be there at a concert. Well, not just now anyway. The stories I really find interesting from this part of the tour are the wonderful blog post and photographs taken by Sean Sisk from the sold out Ottawa show, the National Post sessions and videos (So Let’s Go and Paper and Fire), the Canadian News on World interview where Alan Doyle talks about Newfoundland music and language and the CBC Radio Q interview and videos (I Can’t Dance Without You and So Let’s Go).   

From Twitter…another delightful and totally gorgeous Alan Doyle selfie from the road.

Embedded image permalink


Alan Doyle ‘Holy Guelph. There’s gonna be a time tonight. 25 January, 2015 (no copyright infringement intended).

Embedded image permalink


Alan Doyle@alanthomasdoyle ‘Wicked night at Brock U and quite possibly my Fav headline ever. Thanks all (no copyright infringement intended).

 Alan Doyle @alanthomasdoyle Wicked @siskphoto shots from Ottawa. Thanks so much. 27 January 2015.

Sean Sisk@siskphoto Thanks Alan ! Thanks for a great night. Cheers. (no copyright infringement intended)

Embedded image permalink


An evening with Alan Doyle’by Sean Sisk 26 January 2015 Centrepointe Theatre Ottawa
Sean Sisk, a Canadian photographer was invited to photograph Alan Doyle and his band. He took some beautiful black and white photographs of Doyle roaming the halls getting ready for the concert and a one of the band circulated on Twitter. There are some lovely colour photographs of the band having a huge amount of fun and energy on that stage. Sean then goes on to describe Alan the gracious host and how he interacted with the fans after the concert taking pictures and signing autographs. The photographs are available on Sean Sisk’s webpage. 

‘The National Post: National post Sessions; Great Big Sea’s Alan Doyle is looking for something true to sing on ‘So Let’s Go’. 21 January, 2015, by Jon Dekel at nationalpost.com
An Alan Doyle quote from the interview…
“There are certain traditional music worlds that are very academic or fixed, but Newfoundland folk music has never been like that and I don’t think any folk music should be like that. Folk music is the music of the people and the people decide what it is, not the book or the university or the music teacher. There’s no better way to ensure the death of folk and traditional music than to tell people what to do”.

During the interview Alan Doyle shared his views on Newfoundland music tradition, the influence of the Internet and change. The Alan Doyle trio band created two beautiful videos, So Let’s Go and a cover of John Cougar Mellencamp’s Paper and Fire. This interview is available on the National Post website and was shared on my Google plus webpage.

‘Alan Doyle returns with second solo album’. News@NewsonWorldNews  28 January 2015.
I totally love this interview. Alan talks about how music in Petty Harbour, Newfoundland brings people together for a celebration and his love of Newfoundland culture and traditions and sharing this with others. He shares some Newfoundland slang with the hosts. I was glad to see some aspects of Newfoundland language are as foreign to mainlander Canadians as they are to others around the world. The interview is available on the Newsheadlines Youtube site and was shared on my Google Plus webpage.

Q@CBCRadioQ So Let’s Go @alanthomasdoyle brings the who band by the studio; goo.gl/VXG&qd (Two songs and a feature chat) 30 January, 2015. (attached band picture) (no copyright infringement intended).

‘So Let’s Go: Alan Doyle performs live in the Studio Q’ 29 January, 2015.
Alan Doyle gives an interview about the So Let’s Go album and performs a full Alan Doyle band version video of the beautiful song I Can’t Dance Without You on Studio Q . There is a lovely group photograph of the band. While I had no trouble accessing the delightful studio video, the interview available on the podcast from the site was a bit more challenging. I have not heard the interview as I couldn’t download it from the site probably due to where I live and the equipment I use ie my mobile phone. Accessing interviews from CBC radio and their availability overseas vary from radio show to radio show. This story was included in my highlights because I just love the video.

Embedded image permalink


Matt Dunn@mattdunn Also @alanthomasdoyle Made a DREAM come true for me my brother and my father. He invited us up on the stage to sing with him. Thank you Alan! 30 January, 2015.

Matt Dunn @mattdunn Me. My brother and my father went up on stage and sang with @alanthomasdoyle tonight. It was a dream…instagram. 30 January, 2015. (no copyright infringement intended).

Fan dreams do come true. For example, Alan Doyle made one happen for a family when they were asked to get up on stage and sing with the band in Burlington, Ontario Canada last night. I can imagine what a thrill that must have been for that family. Matt Dunn circulated a lovely picture on Instagram of the family and Alan Doyle singing on stage.

For someone like me interested in the fandom, I really enjoy reading about all these lovely interactions from the fans who share their concert experiences as well as those Alan Doyle share with the fans and traditional media. I hope you have enjoyed these social media posts, interviews and videos as much as I have.


Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...