Friday 2 February 2018

Comedians And Banning Phones At Concerts...A response.

My Twitter trends provides me with some interesting reading from Australia and around the world without having to look too far. A couple of days ago I read a Twitter trend where the comedian Chris Rock decided to have a total ban on phones at his concerts in London.

Chris joins a long list of entertainers including musicians and artists and fans who have become totally frustrated with fans using phones or cameras at their concerts. I have written about the subject on a number of occasions on this blog.

According to reports Chris Rock's decision asked fans to put their phones in a device called Yondr which 'creates phone-free spaces for artists educators, organisations and individuals' (Flint, 2018). Each member of the audience gets a pouch to lock their phone in until the end of the concert and they are unlocked as they leave. If a person wants to use the phone during the concert they go to a special area to get them unlocked (Arnold, 2018). Other artists and musicians who have used the pouches include David Chapell, Alicia Keys, The Lumineers, and Guns N Roses (Arnold, 2018).

Flint (2018) and her friend share their positive experiences of attending the Chris Rock's concert and being without a phone and the intrusion it brings from the fan perspective. The author writes about the experience "During Chris Rock's show, I was fully immersed and focused on what was going on onstage, rather than what was happening on my phone and who was interacting with my posts...I wasn't having my view obscured by someone trying to capture the whole act to post on YouTube later that night...I didn't have some random people asking me to take photos of them while trying to get Chris Rock in the background...It was pure unadulterated bliss." Yes I have been there too and shared those feelings and frustrations.

Flint's friend describes the frustration of how I felt when someone uses their phone at a concert or at the movies perfectly "...And actually when a man (who arrived super late) got his phone out, I found it really distracting...It was totally distracting...Just seeing the bright light of his screen pop up as he checked a message reminded me of the annoyance I feel when I'm at the cinema and someone gets their phone out...(Flint, 2018).

I agree with Flint (2018) in there is no reason why there can't be a no-phone policy (and camera) policy in all live venues. I agree there is plenty of time before and after the concert to record your attendance. I agree that while artists or musicians are performing you should give them your full attention (that is just good matters) and there is "no picture or post that can substitute that old school of feeling of being the moment." (Flint, 2018).

Chris Rock has banned phones for a range of reasons. "The move is aimed at stopping people filming his performances and posting them online - with anybody caught using them in venues being ejected from the premises. Rock said the use of mobiles for texting, tweeting and recording performances is a 'major intrusion on the quality of his performance as a comedian..." (Arnold, 2018).

Chris makes a really valid point "There was also the added problem for comedians who spend months polishing their performances to a high state of hilarity only to have their punchlines shared in advance by illegal recordings of their show." (Arnold, 2018)

The constant illegal recording of material and new material makes it really difficult for those artists and musicians who try to make each concert special for those fans who attend. Bootleggers and pirates who constantly travel and record everything and share online it can spoil future concerts for other fans. And no where more evident is that true than in this fandom.

References

Arnold, A. 2018. 'Chris Rock fans face phone ban to stop' major intrusion' on quality of performance' published in skynews.com on the 27 January, 2018.

Flint, H. 2018. 'This company is stopping you using phones at gigs and you should let them' published on the metro.co.uk on the 30 January, 2018.


Source of the photograph unknown. No copyright infringment intended on the photograph.






Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...