Monday 14 January 2013

Lyndahere And The Story Of Other Bootleggers...

Startnakedtruth Confession of a Rock Concert Bootlegger” is a seven and a half thousand word blogspot post written by a rock concert bootlegger. It provides an insight into the motivation behind bootlegging, the move from concert goer to trading, producing and selling, the clashes with security guards and fans about bootlegging and eventually the threat of legal action by musicians and artists. He concludes that technology made taping and trading eventually obsolete.

My name is Mad Raving and I had been collecting bootleg video tapes for a long time as hobby (since the late 80's). Most of these were purchased at record/video shows (usually held in malls) or via mail purchase from a bootleg seller advertising in Goldmine magazine - the ultimate magazine for ads involving old time records but also audio and video bootlegs. Soon we would both get involved in trading copies of our vhs tapes for other collectors live concert vhs tapes. I would eventually get involved in trading on my own as my brother was now supporting a family by the mid and late 90's….

(NOTE: BOOTLEG VIDEO TAPERS would be simply known in the bootleg world as "Filmers" or "Bootleg Filmers".I will use the term FILMERS more often in this story.)

My brother and I were big concert goers from as long as I could remember. It's easy to remember our first concert since it was The Who in Orlando on November 27th,1982. Since then it has been a passion. Right from waiting on the lines early in the morning to purchase the tickets, to the pre-concert tailgate parties, and then the show itself. For myself, the passion would remain up til 1998, but it would be for a different reason….

I met a guy named Bill at a Jefferson Starship concert on a Sunday afternoon at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale,Florida (spring 1998) while he was standing to the right of the sound desk and video taping the concert on a tripod. He told me he was given permission by the band's manager about 30 minutes before show time. But he told me that was rare, that most of the time he had to hide the camcorder with a shirt and sneak (stealth) tape a show. He told me he had the tripod in his car, and once he was given the permission, he went back to get it. But in most cases in the future for myself, if you used a tripod in a sitting down situation inside an arena, a minitripod was what you would use. Also known as a lap pod. This was used for sneak/stealth/bootleg filming….

He gave me some tips on how to get started. But one thing he was adamant about was that he only traded copies of his master video tapes. He was big against selling them. At this point I was only interested in the trading aspect of it anyway. We both agreed to start a website called http://www.southfloridatapers.com/ for bootleg filmers locally to trade copies of our master tapes with each other. I spent some time at his home with his wife and we became good friends. I would also get involved in other national and international message boards and forums where bootleg video tapers (known as "Filmers") would discuss and advertise their own filmed shows for sale. I was told I could make some good money. At this point I had declined the notion of doing such a thing. First of all, I was a bit wary of the risks involved. I was also afraid to betray my new friend Bill…

I saw no sign of him on the national bootleg filmer forums and started to interact in conversations via these message boards and in doing so, learned a lot about what type of camcorder was the ultimate type for stealth filming. What type of mic,tapes,batteries,etc. There were tips on the best way to sneak the camcorder and the additional equipment into the venues. I would eventually learn my own methods to get inside. I had read that some boot filmers would get caught at the door more often than others. I was adamant to not let that happen to me. My stories on how I got past pat down searches and metal detectors on a daily basis are included in the a few of the concerts below…

Then there was the information about where to advertise your video tapes for sale. I learned there were fan based message boards for most of the rock bands. You could find the busiest ones by doing internet searches. I would technically become a spam artist. Some fans of that certain band would object to the advertisement, but most would be very appreciative and very excited over the chance to purchase a decently bootleg filmed concert of their favorite band…

My first attempt was a Stones show in Sunrise at a brand new arena in Sunrise in March 1999.It was good practice. The show was sold out and there was a lot of security and this was a major band. Remember, at this point in March of 1999,I was in the trading community only. So there was no pressure, other than that I was green and scared just by what I was attempting to do.I recall filming openly and no one caring. Security just never saw me. I lucked out. I was told by other filmers on the forum that I would need to hide the cam with an exta shirt, leaving the lens uncovered of course. The next several months would involve me saving money to upgrade everything. As you read my concert film chronicle below, you will see the progress via my notes.

In January 2000,appx. 10 months after I started filming shows, and appx. 12 years after solely trading tapes - I was now official a bootleg seller. My first show was prolific in profits. It was Davy Jones (ex-Monkee) at Gulfstream Park (see the story below).How ironic, the same venue I met Bill at. My internet search would lead me to find out that there were hundreds of Monkees and Davy Jones fan based message boards…

I had continued to be a member of the traders only group at the aformentioned south Florida website and had kept the secret from Bill as long as I could. But of course he found out, and lectured me and the he dropped me as a friend immediately. I was ok with it, I was moving on. I soon found out that he wasn't much of a taper. I soon found out that I would end of being the ONLY bootleg filmer in all of Florida. And I would soon become internationally known and almost as prolific as the notorious North East filmers (Kevin in NYC,Joe in Philly,and so on)…

Soon, I would start selling on Ebay. Going through numerous different accounts each time I would get suspended. There was no way to figure out why ebay suspends some bootleggers and others never get suspended. One thing was known. Ebay had a watch group that involved band's lawyers, their record labels (Warner,Epic,etc) and various spotters who would red flag suspicious auctions (bootlegs for sale!). I would go through a dozen different ebay accounts using different credit cards and various bank account information. Using different user names and so on. My business got so out of hand. I was filming the shows and then advertising on forums and selling on Ebay. I would answer hundreds of questions from potential buyers almost daily, while I took in the payments via paypal or snail mail money orders. I designed the bootleg case covers artwork. I ordered new dvd cases every 3 weeks. As well as cases of vhs and dvd mailers…Most of the time things went well. But you had to deal with anything at anytime. This also involved some fans sending me hate email which included "turning" me into the RIAA or the band's management themselves. 

Our favorite band, The Who, announced a Summer/Fall tour for 2000.I would plan Mike and I's first road trip to see several shows. The bootleg business would help a great deal in the finances involved in seeing these shows. I filmed over 900 concerts in many different venues in South Florida and some in North Florida. I only include notes to concerts of interest as far as incidents involved with the filming or sneaking in each show…

Not mentioned in the story are the 30 or so times I got caught. Honorable mention includes being roughed up by Bob Dylan's personal crew at Ft. Lauderdale stadium a few years ago…I also learned to never attempt to film a Dylan show ever again. His boots never sell well anyway. Not worth the trouble…

At a YES concert in W.Palm Beach, I was caught by one security guy..a young but big dude. He demanded my tape, but I had asked him if we could walk down stairs and away from crowd to avoid the embarrassment. He agreed and as we walked, I trailed behind him just enough to eject the tape and stuff it down my pants. I replaced a blank tape (usually my decoy tape is at the midpoint, so if security examined it, it looked used)...but I didn't have it with me, so I had use my blank tape, which I was going to need for the YES encore, which was about to begin when I got caught…

The fun part about the Amphitheater that would change their name like four times, was their security was in huge numbers and all over the place in this venue. But somehow I managed to film over 100 shows here and only got caught a few times. I would soon start dealing in importing PROFESSIONALLY Filmed concerts from various sources (TV,Euro and Japan pay per view or free tv events, In House video screen,etc).The main imports came from Japan and Germany and involved classic rock bands (60's,70's,80's).The stuff that was surfacing from 2003-2006 was exciting. You talk about super visual quality and sound quality pro filmed shows..complete. It would make the bootleg filming/taping a secondary interest…

At this point I had only been trading my own copies with other bootleg filmers. This was my first attempt at selling copies to fans - and what a way to start! i always knew The Monkees continued to have a massive fan base even as of today...especially Davy Jones, the idol of the band. I saw that the fans had over 100 busy message boards, more than the Beatles. This video/film of the show sold nonstop for 4 years. He never came back this far South until another Monkees show later would also do well for me.

Janis's lawyers (Janis Ian) sent me a letter to "cease and desist" in any distributions of copies of this show, after a fan on her message board rats me out to her Lawyers. I would receive about a half dozen of such legal letters to comply to from these actions via various bands, like Cheap Trick,Journey,etc in the future…

I would continue to film shows from 2004 to April 2009.But my days of filming have slowed down to a rare show here and there by 2009 and the trading and collecting days are just about over in this age of Bit torrent uploading and down loading”.


Reference
Starknakedtruth; Confessions of A Rock Concert Bootlegger 9 October 2012www.startnakedtruth.blogspot.com viewed 13 January 2013

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...