Friday 1 December 2017

Alan Doyle And 'A Newfoundlander In Canada' Book Tour...From the Road Part Two.

Alan Doyle @alanthomasdoyle Early Rise for flight to YYZ and the start of the seocnd leg of the promo run for A Newfoundlander in Canada. Books and Brunch today. Boston tomorrow. 12 November, 2017.

Just over a week ago Alan Doyle finished his last interview in Winnipeg for the second leg of the book tour for 'A Newfoundlander in Canada'. The book tour began on the 12 November in Toronto with more press promotions. He then travelled to various venues to share his stories and songs with the fans in Cambridge, New York and Denver in the United States before returning to the west coast of Canada in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and finally Winnipeg.

Along the way Alan did a number of great interviews for television, radio  newspapers and other online media. The links to these interviews were shared on social media by Alan via his official social media pages, the traditional news and current affairs sources and the fans through fan sites. I have been able to share some of these via my Google + page for those interested fans.

There were a few highlights for me from this leg of the book tour. While I always enjoy listening to Alan talk from the heart and with passion about his personal connection to Newfoundland's culture, language, history and its place within the nation of Canada, my favourite promotions are always those thoughts, words and photographs from his official social media he shares via his official accounts including Twitter and Instagram of the stories shares along the way.

Towards the end of this second leg of the book tour Alan posted a number of selfies and photographs from where he was doing an interview or hanging out. I have always loved these types of posts and the stories they tell. My second favourites are the photographs and videos the fans post on social media sites in particular after they met Alan and write how much pleasure his music and writing bring them. I have shared a couple of my favourites below.




As I write this post Alan shared on his official Twitter account that his book was still in the Top 5 books after 5 weeks since it's release according to the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail list of Bestsellers: Canadian Non-Fiction, Nov 25, 2017 compiled from information by BookNet, Canada's national sales tracking service, BNC SalesData.



The interview...

I really enjoyed this article that was circulated by Alan on his official Twitter account by the online Spill Magazine about writing his book and recording his new album. The article is called "Spill Feature: Canada's Triple Threat - A Converstation with Alan Doyle" and is available from www.spillmagazine.com/29687.

"...I wanted to capture the energy and performance of this band I have, which I use to call The Beautiful Band, but now I call them The Beautiful Beautiful Band. I have been loving playing with this band. I want the listener to have the same experience, like standing in the middle of a music tsunami..."

"...Although he has had tremendous success as a member of Great Big Sea and a solo artist, Doyle discovered that being solo allowed him more freedom that he had with Great Big Sea.

"...One of the joys of being solo is that it allows for a more open palette. When I was writing with and for Great Big Sea, you write to feature the strength of the band. Writing solo, I don't need to imagine the end point. The song gets there anyway, so, it becomes more open..." 





The fan photo...

As readers of my blog know I really enjoy reading the social media posts of fans who get to attend Alan Doyle events whether it be a music or book event. Alan shared a gorgeous photograph of him reading from his book in Denver. The photograph was taken by a long term fan first introduced to Alan Doyle via Great Big Sea in 1997. I just love it and decided to keep a copy here.







The charity event...


Alan Doyle @alanthomasdoyle Honoured to be back in Vancouver for this show of Love and Support for a hero of mine and many more. 20 November, 2017.

Alan Doyle @alanthomasdoyle Easily one of the most incredible nights of my life. And it was all for Love. Thank u @johnmannmusic and all 20 November, 2017.



During a couple of days off in Vancouver Alan and other Canadian musicians and artists participated in a fundraiser for the Spirit of the West lead singer John Mann at the Commodore.

There were some amazing thoughts and words, photographs and videos shared by those artists and musicians who attended and the fans. Many of these were shared via the official Spirit of the West Facebook page.

One fan dobwat took a number of awesome fans vids from the event and circulated them via her social media accounts. I have circulated a couple of fan vids from the event from the YouTube account of dobwat on my Google + page for interested fans.














The radio interview...


Afternoons with Roy Breakenridge on 22 November, 2017.

Alan Doyle was live in the studio and the 20 minute interview was available at the following link when I published this post. I always enjoy listening to Alan talk about Newfoundland and what it means to be a Newfoundlander at home and on his travels.

https://omny.fm/shows/afternoons-with-rob-breakenridge/alan-doyle-live-in-studio




Highlights...

One of highlights from this second leg for me was the Wordsfest in Calgary where they posted some photos, quotes and great short videos of Alan reading from his book during his talk on Twitter.

It was nice as a fan living thousands of kilometers away to be included. They also posted some amazing footage of the huge number of fans who lined up at the meet and greet afterwards. Alan shared these via his official Twitter page and I have included these here.







Another highlight...

Another highlight for me from this second leg of the book tour was the impromptu signing at Chapter's book store in Edmonton... I just love the selfie of him strolling to the book store.

Alan Doyle @alanthomasdoyle Confirmed. Edmonton Folks. I'll be popping by Chapters at 1054 Whyte Ave at 5 pm for about 30 minutes. Pop in if you'd like a personalised copy of the new book. Or the old book. Or the new CD or any old ones I suppose. Or just to say hi or get a photo or whatever! 23 November, 2017.




The social media posts...









Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...