Friday 12 January 2018

Great Big Sea And 'The Banks Of Newfoundland'...Throwback Thursday.

Recently I was searching for Great Big Sea videos on YouTube when I came across a wonderful video of Bob Hallett, Alan Doyle and Sean McCann singing 'The Banks of Newfoundland'. Although the video was published at the height of my interest in Great Big Sea I don't remember reading anything about this on social media or seeing it before now. So this was a very exciting find for me as a fan.

The attached description writes the video was made during the Newfoundland winter of 2013. The Heavyweather YouTube site wrote about the video 'This day, however, happened to be the coldest day of the year and with the wind and snow coming off the water behind us we thought we just might freeze. Turned out well in the end and we captured this great performance.' The video looks like it was shot in Quidi Vidi. The video was published on the Heavyweather YouTube site on the 19 February, 2014.

Wikipedia states 'The Banks of Newfoundland' is the 'earliest Newfoundland composition set down in music notation...and was originally composed by Frances Forbes in 1820 as a dance and then was treated as a march by soldiers during WW1. Today it is the official tune of the Royal St. John's Regatta.' 'The Banks of Newfoundland' was recorded by Great Big Sea on The Fortune's Favour album and released in 2008. The album was recorded at the band's studio in St. John's, Newfoundland.

Bob Hallett is magnificent as the lead vocalist with Alan Doyle and Sean McCann providing support vocals. I like many Great Big Sea fans are still waiting patiently for the Bob Hallett solo album.

I have circulated a copy of the video on my Google + page. The screen shots are from the video. No copyright infringement intended.








Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...