Friday 5 January 2018

Great Big Sea And Ordinary Day...A favourite Canadian song.

Recently Alan Doyle and Bob Hallett responded to Twitter and Facebook posts from fans about the results of a CBC Canada Music online music survey to find out what were Canadian's favourite Canadian songs. The results included the Great Big Sea song 'Ordinary Day'. 'Ordinary Day' has been on a number of popular Canadian music lists created by fans over the years.

CBC Music received over 2500 votes on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for a range of Canadian songs past and present and posts on what those songs meant to them. From those votes they made up a list and supplemented that list with comments made from those who posted and some videos of the songs that were published in an article on their webpage.

I absolutely love stories and lists like this one created by CBC Music and music fans. I am familiar with many of the Canadian artists and musicians who are listed and whose music is loved around the world such as Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette, Bryan Adams, Tom Cochrane, Anne Murray and Joni Mitchelle. Others have been introduced to me via the boys from Great Big Sea such as Jann Arden, Sarah McLachlan and Leonard Cohen. Lists like this always give me the opportunity to listen too and appreciate a range of other Canadian artists and musicians. While most of the videos were from official sites, I was a bit disappointed some of the videos were pirated videos and music where royalties would not go to the artist or musician.

While I love 'Ordinary Day' I have to admit I have a partial preference for the song 'Lovers In A Dangerous Time'. On this list The Barenaked Ladies version is included but Great Big Sea also performed a version in their early years and Alan Doyle often does a brilliant version in his concerts.

Bob Hallett wrote on his official Facebook page that 'Posterity is being kind to us'. Great Big Sea and their music and interactions with and kindness to their fans have brought so much pleasure not only in Canada but around the world. In return I hope the boys have been rewarded in so many ways and still rewards them in many ways still to come.

I have circulated a copy of the official version of 'Ordinary Day' and a bootleg of Alan Doyle singing 'Lovers In A Dangerous Time' on my Google + page.




Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...