Wednesday 2 January 2019

My Favourite Alan Doyle And The Beautiful, Beautiful Band Moments 2018...(69/365)

The winners of my favourite fan and professional photographs, music videos and reviews as voted entirely by me...the fan.


Many thanks to Alan Doyle and all the professionals and fans who generously shared their words, stories, photographs and videos online. There was lot of promotional material produced by both Alan himself, the professionals and the fans from the creators, concerts, book and CD tour and it was very difficult to choose my favourites.


The winner of my favourite Alanthomasdoyle official social media account...

For the past couple of years my favourite official Alanthomasdoyle social media account has been Instagram. Everything Alan has posted on there including his stories and work at home and away has been gold. I really enjoy his posts from Newfoundland and of Spencer his dog. 


I also enjoy his Twitter account as well in particular his question and answers to fans.

The winner of my favourite Alan Doyle and The Beautiful Beautiful Band photograph is...

The winner of my favourite band photograph was the post at the end of last year where Alan thanked his fellow band members and crew for being with him on the 100 plus dates they toured together. 






The winner of my favourite Alan Doyle fan photograph...


My favourite fan photographs were from Brian Campbell taken at a concert at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa in February 2018.

I love the inclusiveness of this collection of black and white and colour photographs of all the equally talented Beautiful, Beautiful Band members including not only Alan Doyle but Cory Tetford, Kendel Carson, Todd Lumley, Kris MacFarlane and Shehab Illyas. I have shared a couple of screen shots of photographs below.

If you enjoy music photography as much as I do check out D. Brian Campbell's official Instagram account. No copyright infringement intended.




(photo credit Brian Campbell)




(photo credit Brian Campbell)

The winner of my favourite Alanthomasdoyle social media story...

The winner of my favourite social media story was Alan's Adventure Canada's cruise around Newfoundland visiting various places. Where possible Alan shared his adventures via his official social media accounts on Twitter and Instagram.


The winner of my favourite professional videos are...

It was a difficult choice to make about professional music videos...

I love the 'Beautiful To Me' music video. All the images from the video are truly beautiful and it is certainly one of the best music videos I have ever seen. I love the inclusiveness, diversity and bravery of those individuals who participated in the video to raise awareness of their cause.

I also love the 'Come Out With Me' official music video which shows Alan Doyle and his Beautiful, Beautiful Band (Cory Tetford, Kendel Carson, Todd Lumley, Shehab Illyas and Kris MacFarlane) performing the song 'Come Out With Me' live on stage to a sold out crowd in a beautifully restored theatre somewhere in Canada. I love the inclusiveness of all the members of the band and the crowd.

Shehab Illyas was busy making beautiful music videos during his down time for Cory Tetford, The Ennis Sisters and The Fortunate Ones. They also deserve an honourable mention.

The winner of my favourite Alan Doyle events...


The winner of my favourite Alan Doyle event was very difficult to choose as there so many...

Touring With Whitney Rose...

One of the reasons I love writing my blog is I never know whose creative work I will experience next. I loved being introduced to the brilliance of Whitney Rose. 



(photo credit Alan Doyle)

Cruise with Adventure Canada...

As fans of Alan Doyle who follow him on social media know that he recently went on an Adventure Canada trip circumnavigating Newfoundland. Alan was one of several Newfoundlanders sharing their expertise of Newfoundland history, culture, music, geography and the natural environment with passengers.

The 10 day trip included visits to St. John's, outport communities, L'Anse aux Meadow a World Heritage listed Norse settlement, Red Bay Basque Whaling Station, Gros Morne National Park and Woody Point, Miawupkek (Conne River) First Nations settlement, and Saint-Pierre the last French colony in North America. And a what a trip that would have been visiting places that many tourists to Newfoundland would never get to visit while learning about Newfoundland from the resident experts. 

The trip has become one of my dreams for next year.

Great Newfoundland Songbook...


Each week on Saturday afternoon Paul Kinsman (a Newfoundland musician, photographer and radio host) talks about Newfoundland and Labrador songs and the times they reflect and how they are connected to their culture. 


During the episodes available Paul has been joined by other notable Newfoundland musicians and singers including Bob Hallett, Barry Canning, Chris LeDrew, Alan Doyle, Darrell Power, Barry Canning, Denis Parker, Sandy Morris and Colleen Power. This series on Newfoundland music is totally awesome.

I have included a photograph of the official poster for the series and a photograph of Alan Doyle in the studio with Paul Kinsman. The photographs are from the official Twitter account of Paul Kinsman. As always no copyright infringement intended.





(photo credit Paul Kinsman)



The Great Big Reunion...


A photograph of the original founding members of Great Big Sea (Alan Doyle, Bob Hallett and Sean McCann) having a meeting in St. John's, Newfoundland shared via their official social media accounts.

The photograph brought a lot of pleasure to many of fans who weighed in on the discussion on the various official and fan social media sites. Most fans were pleased to see the boys sitting down together and trying to sort out a few of their differences.


Splash N' Boots album...

Splash 'N Boots have been sharing the making of the album over the past couple of months on social media. They worked with Alan Doyle to co-write and produce the album. I have written a previous post about Splash 'N Boots working together with Alan Doyle on their new album called 'Alan Doyle, The Producer...Splash 'N Boots' published on the 18 October, 2018. 

Alan  features on a song called 'I'll Be The Captain'. I absolutely love this song. I love the language the group uses to sing this song. The language is how some Newfoundlanders really speak and write. There is also a song which features Alan's son Henry called 'Jack Was Every Inch A Sailor'. There is a cute little video of Henry performing with Splash 'N Boots circulated on their official Instagram account. 



The winner of my favourite professional review was...

My favourite professional review was 'Alan Doyle and Friend Aboard the Ocean Endeavour' by Elizabeth Szekers published on the 18 October, 2018 at rootsmusic.ca about her trip with Adventure Canada around Newfoundland with Alan Doyle and friends.





The winner of my favourite Alan Doyle professional photographs are...


My favourite collection of professional photographs are from Budweiser concert in Hamilton, Ontario on 17 August, 2018. I have enclosed a link here to the site. 

http://hamiltonsrockandcountrymagazine.com/entertainment/michael-ray-alan-doyle-dean-brody-budweiser-stage-august-17th-2018

While there are some absolutely stunning photographs of Beautiful, Beautiful Band member Kendel Carson, I really love these of Alan with trusty side kick his guitar Stickman Tak. No copyright infringement intended.  




(photo credit H.R.C. Magazine)



(photo credit H.R.C. Magazine)


My favourite fan moment of 2018...


There were many wonderful fan moments shared by fans throughout social media who travelled far and wide to see Alan Doyle and The Beautiful, Beautiful Band in concert. However, my favourite is this amazing little video of Alan Doyle and a fan singing the Great Big Sea song 'River Driver' after the concert in Sarnia, Ontario.

The fan's Instagram's account provides no information about how their meeting came about. Although brief, Alan and the fan are totally awesome singing 'River Driver' together. What an amazing moment for the fan !





Fan of the Year 2018...


Fan of year goes to long term Great Big Sea and Alan Doyle fan Kim Hix who died tragically on a recent trip to Newfoundland. Rest in peace Kim.




Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...