Sunday 22 March 2015

Alan Doyle…A piracy statement of sorts…

I was thrilled when Alan Doyle responded to issues raised on his Twitter site about piracy and decided to issue a statement of sorts. The issue was raised after 39 bootlegged recordings from an unauthorised source were located and distributed by Helen Reynolds, the administrator of the Online Kitchen Party, A Great Big Sea Community Forum fan page on Facebook. (Piracy and excessive bootlegging have been the cause of many disputes within the Great Big Sea fandom over a number of years). 

Helen Reynolds had contacted Alan Doyle to get authorisation for the distribution to the bootlegged recordings. (I gather that under Colorado state law the bootlegger would need an appropriate license to record content and obviously they didn’t apply.  The bootlegger and the distributor also probably breached fair usage as the entire concert was recorded). The alleged bootlegger was revealed by Helen Reynolds after I ask annoying questions to her about the origins of the bootlegged content. 

 Alan Doyle from Twitter

“oh… sorry I was not aware it would be seen as different youtube vids ect. Perhaps I should have an official policy. Let me chat with labels ect next weeks and I’ll post my position on the whole thing. Its such a grey area these days. Every live show is captured by dozens, not hundreds of recording devices and shared on Youtube, emails, messages. I do not support pirating studio music. I ask everyone to buy what I release if they want to hear it.

I have no control over how many people record, share live performances. I thought of this recording as the same, could be wrong” 21 March 2015.

 Alanthomasdoyle to @helenwheels @tjcb1420 @ottersynic @brianblank Feels like I need to discuss with labels ect re copyright…give me till early next week. 21 March 2015

Alan postponed his decision on the support for the bootlegged recordings (after some reflection) to consult with his management and record labels. Despite  the fact he postponed his decision (and the bootlegger agreed) Helen Reynolds did not removed the post or files containing the recordings or Alan's statement supporting them. At the time of me writing this post Helen Reynold's post was still up on the Facebook page on Sunday 22 March 2015. So the consultation with Alan and his decision to defer and reflect on the decision were ignored by Helen Reynolds. She continued to use his comments as an attempt of publicise the distribution of the illegal recordings.

From Twitter

Helen Wheels to @alanthomasdoyle @tjcb1420 @brianblank Thanks Alan. Wishing the one link had been more gratefully accepted, not made an issue. 21 March 2015

Tammy J Buckley @helenwheels It shouldn’t have been made an issue! It’s only one person who doesn’t have anything better to do than cause problems 4 others. 21 March 2015

I don't know who made Tammy Buckley queen of what is important and not important in the Great Big Sea fandom. The conduct of these two Great Big Sea fans Helen Reynolds and Tammy Buckley (two educated and professional mature-age women working in the Colorado education system with special needs children) and their dismissal of the issue and impact of piracy (and bootlegging) not only on musicians but other content creators and their lack of willingness to be involved in respectful dialogue makes education on these issues even more urgent. 

What ever Alan decides on the issue of piracy and bootlegging I will support him and still be a fan. Not because he is right but because he decided to engage respectfully in the debate with me. And because I love his music and where he belongs. Many thanks Alan.

From the Online Kitchen Party Facebook page, a post by Helen Reynolds.



Many thanks to Alan Doyle for giving me his permission to share this..The Beautiful Gypsies LIVE at The Soiled Dove Underground in Denver 2.25.15. can be downloaded here:https://www.mediafire.com/folder/s5afjnkb4x3rq/adb2015-02-25.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service for that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.
WWW.MEDIAFIRE.COM














Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...