Friday 13 March 2015

Happy Anniversary Great Big Sea…

Happy Anniversary Great Big Sea and their fans…

SeanMcCannSings@seanmcannsings Happy Anniversary @DarrellPowerNL @bobhallett @alanthomasdoyle @krismacdrum @murrayfoster1 #GBSXX1112 March 2015

AlanDoyle@alanthomasdoyle Happy Anniversary GBS! 22 Years ago today we played our first gig. What a ride. Thanks to all. 12 March 2015

MurrayFoster@MurrayFoster1 Lots of magical times with these madmen RT Seanmcannsings @DarrellPowerNL @bobhallett @alanthomasdoyle @krismacdrum 12 March 2015

As Great Big Sea fans know yesterday was Great Big Sea’s 22nd anniversary since they played their first gig together. Despite the fact Sean McCann had left the band and the band members were taking a hiatus of sorts persuing individual projects, it was a time of congratulations and reflection all round for the fans and some of the band on social media, including Twitter and Facebook.

Sean McCann began the celebrations by writing a blog post thanking the band and fans and wished them well.

“Greetings Fellow Great Big Sea Fans and Happy Anniversary Kris, Murray, Darrell, Bob and Alan. It has been over year now since we stopped and while taking a breath today to reflect upon our collective past I remembered this documentary I made for the XX Boxset.

While the winds of time may have blown us apart and we still don't agree on a Great Big many things, I would like to thank you all today (Fans and Band alike) for contributing to my Life and ultimately helping me to Help My Self…

We have lived through so much together ....some bad....and some great. Today I will remember only the latter and Wish You Well."

Sean circulated a photograph and a beautiful video on YouTube of Alan Doyle, Bob Hallett and himself singing a song called Great Big World written by Jim Fidler. What a treat indeed.

It was unfortunate some fans chose to start a fight with other fans and the band members on Twitter and the Facebook Online Kitchen Party for the Great Big Sea Fan Community and nick pick over who should have said what and whether Sean had the right to say anything because he had left the band. (I am sure if you are a Great Big Sea fan you can guess who, but I won’t go into it out of respect for Great Big Sea.). To me Sean has the right to say whatever he wants, when he likes as he is still part of the band, at least legally. And as one fan put it nicely hopefully the gesture will help them work towards their (and the fan’s) healing.

To me, Sean has been most generous and kind about sharing material from his Great Big Sea collection of memorabilia including photographs and videos. As I have really only been fan for about 4 years I really appreciate these gestures.

Like many fans, becoming interested in Great Big Sea changed my life. Although I don’t really participate in social media, I have met a lot of nice people from overseas at concerts. I have learned a lot about music, Newfoundland, the challenges musicians face, piracy, bootlegging and most all fandom which was documented through my blog.

I have learned it is okay to be a fangirl, yes fangirl no matter how old you are, to remain loyal to my personal ideas and beliefs, to stand up for others (even if it isn’t acknowledged and rewarded) and to put my dreams out there because dreams really do come true.

After years of being snug and loving my little piece of Australia I finally built up the courage and finances to travel overseas to Canada and Newfoundland. A lot of fans go to a lot of concerts and don’t make it to Newfoundland. I didn't do a whole lot of concerts but I did make it to Newfoundland and on more than a couple of occasions.  

I have fallen in love with St. John’s and Newfoundland, it’s people, it’s culture, stories and music. During the last couple of weeks so many of my personal dreams came true there. I was lucky enough to meet Alan Doyle in the Toronto airport, Alan Hawco from Republic of Doyle and to see Sean McCann play in St. John’s. I am grateful for that. I am grateful for all the music, the stories and culture Great Big Sea have shared with me and most of all introducing me to their glorious home  Newfoundland.

I am hoping for one more great big trip and extended stay at the end of the year.

Many thanks and happy anniversary Great Big Sea.



My favourite Great Big Sea photograph...(no copyright infringement intended)

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...