Friday 8 May 2015

Alan Doyle Facebook questions and answer sessions…

Alan Doyle conducted a Facebook question and answer sessions on April 28, 2015 on his official page. There were over 340 comments and replies. I am sure Alan would have felt over whelmed by the interest.

I have compiled a brief summary of some of the main questions and answers. I have deliberately left out the identity of the person who asked the question and some personal comments to protect their identity and for copyright. They are not in the order they were answered on Facebook but just random.

I have copied Alan’s response to allow him to respond in his own words.

It was difficult to pick a favourite question and answer but I really liked the question about the role of the Internet and social media in his life and what comes first the lyrics or the music.  

From Alan Doyle Music Facebook (No copyright infringement intended).


Embedded image permalink


…How have you felt about the changes in social media and the internet that make it seem as though there’s truly nothing private anymore?
Alan    It is what it is. For it has advantages as you get music and messages to people instantly…but also disadvantages as you can never be really off.

…What comes first for you the lyrics or the music?
Alan    lyrics…a phrase or a sentence         that I think would be good to sing

Do you plan on recording with Scott Grimes?...
Alan    We’ve recorded a bunch and have new tunes coming out later this year with Russell and Sam Barks and Carl Falk. Scott is possibly the best singer I have ever heard.

Do you plan to do a tour in support of the new cd you are releasing later this year with Russell Crowe?
Alan    Hoping to do some gigs in September. Keep you posted.

…Writing your own material? Or collaborating with other artists?
Alan  I like working with others more. Music has always been about collaboration for me. I’m not much for solitude.

What’s it like working with other Canadian musicians? Particularly Ed Robertson?
Will there be any east coast dates for your tour with BNL?
Alan    I love ed and the bnl gang, they have been great friends to me and gbs over the years. I am not sure about the routing of the BNL tour as I am a guest. Would love to take it east or wherever.

…I want to know how you came up with this CD, “So Let’s Go”, what inspired you?
Alan    I was inspired to make some POP songs that were centred around Newfoundland folk music. A big pop tune around a fella from Petty Hr playing the mandolin.

Whaddya at?...Who in your opinion, is an undiscovered Canadian musician that we should all listen to? Cheers.
Alan    Matthew Byrne. My fav singer these days.

Are you in the process of writing your 2nd book?
Alan    Just starting. Yes. No idea what shape it will take.

…favourite places to play?
Alan    Home, New Orleans, Tonder Denmark, Quebec City, Halifax…

…Which out of all the songs you have written is the one you would like to be remembered for?
Alan    I don’t think I have one. I don’t think of tunes like that I suppose. They are just songs to sing and I hope they move people and bring them happiness in some way.

What is on the playlist these days? Any good music recs?
Alan    The Lone Bellow…best new band I’ve heard in a while,

….Do you have a place that inspires you, you like to use a place to recharge your batteries?
Alan    I find people more inspiring than places…I love watching others work and be passionate about so. Makes me want to do as much. We have a family cabin where I do to hide and recharge.

Have we seen the last of Great Big Sea? Or will you get together at some point in the future?
Alan    I hope to play GBS concerts for    sure.

…Is there a particular moment as an artist that took your breath away?
Alan    Many thankfully. It’s pretty wicked when Sting gives you there nod to play “Every Breath You Take’ on your gtr.

…Listening to you sing always get me though anything and picks me up again. Is there anything or anyone you turn to?
Alan    My family and friends are pretty awesome.

Missy the cat wants to know if you have any pets?
Alan   An old dog Molly and new dog Spencer. 

Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...