Sunday 24 May 2015

“Sean McCann knows his fans”…A fan's response.

Next week on Wednesday 27 May 2015 Sean McCann will begin to release songs from his fourth solo album You Know I Love You. Therefore, he is on the media trail again publicising his new album.

Sean made some interesting comments in a recent interview “NOW HEAR THIS: Solo Sean McCann knows his fans” by Stephen Cooke published on 20 May, 2015 with The Chronicle Herald in Halifax about the listening habits of fans and the use of social media. The interview was circulated on social media and in particular the Online Kitchen Party Facebook page or fan site for the Great Big Sea community. There was a range of interesting responses including yet another discussion about Great Big Sea and their future. As I am not on Facebook I will respond here.

“I think it’s important for me to spread the word as organically as I can,” says McCann, explaining why he’s taking the homegrown approach to getting his music out there.

“I still believe in social media, because the results are measurable and it is functionally free, although I also believe devices can be divisive, in the way they’re fracturing our attention span.

“But that’s why I’ll be putting out one song a week, because I don’t think many people have the time to listen to a whole record anymore. There’s always a tweet or a Facebook update or something to distract you. I’m aware of that. I don’t want to become a Luddite, even though it’s not how I like to listen to music.” Sean McCann with Stephen Cooke.

In some ways I tend to agree with Sean’s comments that some fans may not have the time to listen to a whole album. Not because of the constant interruption of social media or a lack of concentration but because of life, of having relationships, a job, children and a family. For many people taking an hour out of an already busy day to indulge themselves listening to music is indeed a luxury.

For me and other fans, music is often a complementary activity to other activities, rather than an exclusive activity in its own right, unless we attend a concert. People through necessity are becoming more multi-tasking than ever and music plays an important role in achieving those tasks and in the well being and enjoyment of life. It shouldn’t mean music experiences are less valuable, meaningful or enjoyable when done in association with other activities, than listening to music in its own right on a CD.

I also found Sean’s comments interesting about his preference for the ‘organic way’ of promoting his music in light of his recent shows. Sean doesn’t seem to mind fans using their phones and cameras making bootlegs and distributing them via social media afterwards (including Twitter) to publicise his music and concerts.I am sure the fans who attend his shows may (or may not) appreciate someone using their phone or camera to record distracting them from the performance and enjoyment of his music.

However Sean chooses to release his music is up to him but I seriously don’t think he should stereotype all the fans as they come from a wide range of backgrounds, age groups, countries and social and economic groups and their music listening habits. 

I certainly understand Sean’s lack of enthusiasm about the role of social media in our increasingly busy lives and in marketing goods in particular music. I certainly prefer the organic approach myself for music promoting or letting the artists and musicians do the talking themselves rather than the fans. 


However, the role of social media in promoting and selling goods, whatever they may be is here to stay including music. Those in the business of selling need to understand and use social media to promote their goods to consumers efficiently and effectively. 

This article did not have the facilities to circulate it via Google + so I have copied the relevant parts below. It has not been copied in its entirety due to copyright.

NOW HEAR THIS: Solo Sean McCann knows his fans by Stephen Cooke published on 20 May, 2015 in the Chronicle Herald in Halifax (no copyright infringement intended).

With his sails still unfurled, Sean McCann continues to chart his own course since jumping ship from Great Big Sea.

On Wednesday, May 27, the St. John’s shantyman brings songs from his fourth solo release You Know I Love You — his second since he announced his departure from the Newfoundland folk-pop band — to Carleton Music Bar & Grill in Halifax. Coming along for the ride is his pal, former Bucket Truck frontman and MuchMusic host Matt Wells.

The as-yet-unreleased project reteamed McCann with Joel Plaskett at his downtown Dartmouth studio New Scotland Yard, following their work on the raw and rocky Help Your Self, which saw the Newfoundlander exorcising some demons while cranking up the guitar.

McCann was pleased by the feedback and the sales the record generated, “and the direction it’s pushed me in.” “Those responses have sent me on a different path.

“I keep writing all the time, it’s something I won’t give up. You’ve gotta keep some bad habits, I guess. So I just called up Joel and said, ‘It’s wintertime, I need to do something, let’s go make another record!’”

After Help Your Self’s post-sobriety soul searching, McCann wanted to make something upbeat and summery — “I won’t say it’s happy, but it’s joyfully content” — which is why he’ll be releasing one song per week over the next few months through BandCamp.

“I think it’s important for me to spread the word as organically as I can,” says McCann, explaining why he’s taking the homegrown approach to getting his music out there.

“I still believe in social media, because the results are measurable and it is functionally free, although I also believe devices can be divisive, in the way they’re fracturing our attention span.

“But that’s why I’ll be putting out one song a week, because I don’t think many people have the time to listen to a whole record anymore. There’s always a tweet or a Facebook update or something to distract you. I’m aware of that. I don’t want to become a Luddite, even though it’s not how I like to listen to music.”

As an added bonus, each song is paired with a painting by Halifax musician and artist Meaghan Smith. For example, the Buddy Holly-esque Set Me Free is accompanied by a portrait of McCann with a candy love heart over his mouth, with the album’s title inscribed upon it.

“I’ve always found her super-confident and composed, and she just nails it,” he says of the recent East Coast Music Award winner. “She’s amazingly skilled, so I commissioned her to do a painting for each song.”





Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...