Thursday 21 May 2015

When the job of ‘celebrity’ takes it's toll…

I am a great fan of the television series and one of my favourites is Supernatural. I love the stories the series tells about all things supernatural, (mostly urban stories from the suburbs and occasionally from the rural areas of the United States of America) and of two brothers and the people they meet along the way, some of those they consider family even though they are not blood. Supernatural has attracted millions of loyal fans from around the world.

For 10 years the cast focusing on Sam and Dean or Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles have produced approximately 23 episodes per season, a gruelling schedule indeed for any actor or series. I have bought all of the DVDs  that are constantly in and out of my computer, revisiting favourite episodes and current episodes digitally.

On top of a gruelling filming schedule, the cast regulars and other fan favourites have attended a lot of conventions around the world over many years. I have never been to a Supernatural convention. There are panel discussions, meet and greets and a lot of fun and shenanigans. They are also extremely expensive for fans who spend hundreds of dollars per day on top of airfares and accommodation. The goings on at conventions are reported, recorded and photographed in great detail by the fandom on social media and webpages.

It is clear that a loyal fandom is essential for any television series, singer or music group or cultural phenomena to survive. Supernatural is extremely popular, the fandom is complex and the amount of fans involved is so huge, it has been described in books, articles, blogs, webpages and every form of social media possible by fans themselves, writers and academics. This information is used to keep the fans and the television series interested, connected, involved and a whole lot more. To me, I just love the television series and stories the show tells in its purist form, although I would love to go to a convention just to see what it was all about.

So it was with great sadness I read the gruelling schedule had taken its toll on one of the cast members Jarad Padelecki. My Twitter timeline was buzzing with the news Jarad had pulled out of some of the conventions due to exhaustion. Jared explained his reasons for the non-appearance and thanked fans for their understanding and support, the cast members supported their co-worker and friend. The fans responded with a huge out pouring of concern and support.

The fans, the creators and money making machines and their constant asking and demanding can take their toll on the health and wellbeing on even the most resilient of celebrity. I certainly understand what a great thrill it is to meet and greet your favourite celebrities who-ever they may be. But it is definitely a privilege and not a right as some fans seem to think. Celebrities are human beings and after all their hard work, deserve and need their down time like the rest of us.

I found this great article from the International Business Times which explains Jared’s withdrawal from the conventions and his struggle with depression from an early age. All the best to Jarad and his family.

‘Supernatural’ Star Jared Padalecki Leaves Convention Early Citing Exhaustion; Fans Show Support On Twitter”  by Nicole Massabrook published on 18 May 2015 (No copyright infringement intended). I have circulated the article via my Google + page.
“Supernatural” actor Jared Padalecki has some fans worried after he left a fan convention in Rome early. The actor tweeted that he was going home and noted that he needed support from his fans.

Padalecki, 32, not only skipped his scheduled appearance at the Jus In Bello 6 convention in Rome but also cancelled a planned appearance at All Hell Breaks Loose 5, a similar event in Melbourne, Australia, next weekend. His manager released a statement that cited exhaustion as Padalecki’s reason for cancelling the appearances.
"Jared wanted everyone to know he loves meeting his fans around the world and was very upset at having to cancel his trips to Rome and Australia," the statement said. "Jared has pushed himself to his limits and is suffering from exhaustion. His SPN family is so important to him, and he asks that they Always Keep Fighting. At this time he needs to be home with his family."

“Always Keep Fighting” is the tag line of Padalecki’s recent charity campaign. He is selling T-shirts bearing the slogan through Represent and the proceeds benefit To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA), a nonprofit that helps those who are dealing with suicide, depression, addiction and self-injury. When the former "Gilmore Girls" star and Texas native started his campaign, he revealed that he'd been dealing with depression for several years. He was diagnosed by a doctor during shooting of “Supernatural” Season 3.
“A doctor came to set and talked to me for about 30 minutes or 45 minutes and said: ‘Jared, I think you’re clinically depressed. I think I should write you a note and we can shut down production for five days and then we can take it from there.’ And it kind of hit me like a sack of bricks,” Padalecki told Variety “I mean, I was 25 years old. I had my own TV show. I had dogs that I loved and tons of friends and I was getting adoration from fans and I was happy with my work, but I couldn’t figure out what it was; it doesn’t always make sense, is my point. It’s not just people who can’t find a job, or can’t fit in in society, who struggle with depression sometimes.”

Luckily, Padalecki, who plays Sam Winchester on "Supernatural," seems to have a support system in place. Co-star Jensen Ackles remained at the Rome-based convention and assured fans that his on-screen brother needed the break.
“He gives himself a lot to you guys,” Ackles explained. “He gives himself a lot to his family and his friends and his work and his job. And sometimes you just need to get home and rest with your family. … I told him to turn his phone off. I don’t know if he listened to me, but I know how much he loves you all and I know how much it saddens him to not be here right now.”

While Padalecki’s decision to cancel his appearance disappointed many fans, they also seem to understand the Texan’s struggle and have taken to social media to show their support.


Fandom, An Unexpected Journey 600 Blog Posts... Thank You !

It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating writing and sharing my 500 th blog post. Today I am celebrating writing and sharing 600 blog ...